nafex - Re: [nafex] deer prevention

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@harborside.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] deer prevention
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:03:05 -0700

Most of the deer eating is done at night this time of year so the
monofilament is
impossible for me to see at that time.
I think the mono is not practical for me.
If I put it far from the edge of the garden area it is in the lawn and then I
can't mow the lawn.
Sam

Ginda Fisher wrote:

> I wonder if some monofilament is more visible than others.  Someone
> hypothesized on this board that deer are spooked by feeling something
> they can't see.  Certainly, they will push over a wire fence that is
> much stronger than a monofilament fence.
>
> Does it help to put the monofilament where it will be shaded at dusk?
>
> Sam Franc wrote:
> >
> > I tried that this summer in two locations.
> > It is all broken down at this time except one line they duck under.
> > I watched one occassion where they just ran right through one section.
> > I had 3 levels up in most locations.
> > They must just push on it as they try to eat the best parts because some
> > on
> > the posts were pushed over before the line broke.
> > Sam
> >
> > mike tomlinson wrote:
> >
> > > I read somewhere that stringing mono/fishing line around an orchard
> > > will help to keep deer out of the area.  Can someone give me the
> > > drill on how I should set up such a system. One line? or two or
> > > three? How high, etc? pound test? Thanks
> > > Mike Tomlinson
> > > zone6 SE PA

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/15/_/423498/_/972410640/