msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Saddlebag inventory: - whats in yours

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Saddlebag inventory: - whats in yours
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:42:47 -0500

I carry the usual ton of stuff. There are 4 water bottle holders on the
pommel for small bicycle style bottles and 2 1.5 liter bottles. They have
push pull nozzles and screw off tops. In the Summer they are frozen before
a ride.

The saddle bags have 3 compartments, a cantle bag and two sides with splits.

The cantle bag has a set of neck collars, a rain jacket, yellow blanket, a
soft pack OB kit, usually a shank and some carrots. The horse side carries
a neck rope, spare lead, spare halter, heavy leather work gloves, watch cap
(orange), orange vest, poncho, hoof pick, 100 feet of boat rope (in case
somebody goes swimming), rawhide laces, a knock off of a Swiss Army knife,
whistle, spare glasses, folding tree saw(2), pruning clippers, and a fence
pliers. There is often a spare water bottle as well. The people side carries
trauma dressings, Curlix, a blood pressure kit, Velcro straps, lots of tape,
4x4's, adhesive bandages, 6 pair of XL gloves, a pocket mask, another knife
and whistle, penlights and a Mini-Mag, Vet Wrap, and always in a Zip Loc
spare radio batteries, cell phone, and credentials. There are tubes of
instant Glucose, bug dope (DEET), and sunscreen as well. A large carabeiner
hangs off the rear side rigging for easy access. It will also hold a roll of
survey tape.

The saddle itself is working roping saddle, flank strap and breast collar.
Custom fitted to the horse with a Kodel pad.

I have added things as the years progressed whenever I needed something and
didn't have it. The OB kit is such an item. Needed it once, never again
but I know the day I take it out of the bag I will have to deliver in the
woods.