msar-riders - [MSAR] Saddlebag inventory: - whats in yours

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Thor Burfine" <thor@cpcinc.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Saddlebag inventory: - whats in yours
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:34:13 -0600

Here is my 43# saddle bag

Keep in mind 70% of what our team does is urban/rural and not mountain.
We are very rarely more than 1-2 hours from the trailers.

1 ea. human first-aid kit orange box
standard basic kit
1 ea. animal first-aid kit yellow box
same as above with following added:
sewing needles and dental floss (mint flavored) for sutures
vet recommended the waxed and mint as the mint
flavor has germicidal properties and is easy to see
bagbalm
wonderdust
butte tablets
2 oz. bottle of natural local honey (antibiotic)
(stay away from non local as its pasteurized and does not
act like an antibiotic)
2 rolls vet wrap
1 ea. 200 ft 550 cord (parachute cord)
2 ea. 50 ft 3/8 climbing ropes (not for climbing)
1 ea. 250 ft 3/8 climbing rope (not for climbing)
1 ea. Folding tree saw
1 ea. Fencing Pliers
4 ea. 1 Liter bottle water
4 ea. Roll survey tape for flagging trail and evidence
1 ea. Roll Duck Tape (what can I say)
1 ea. 10x10 blue tarp (use as stretcher or as cover)
(learned this the hard way when we used my duster to carry someone
out of the brush)
1 ea. 100 sf roll black plastic
1 ea. Set rain gear
1 ea. Extra headstall (leathers only)
1 ea. Small bag chicago screws
1 ea. Extra lead rope (I ride with shipping halter on under headstall)
1 ea. Set of hobbles (not all horses hobble, not all meadows have a place to
tie a horse)
1 ea. Entrenching tool (army style folding shovel)
3 ea. Sharpie pens (when I flag a trail I initial, date, and time the
ribbon)
2 ea. Note pad (5x9)
3 ea. Cans of deep woods off
1 ea. SPF 45 sunscreen
1 ea. Package of baby wipes (hand cleaner)

Misc.;
What ever else I feel like packing
Most of the time its extra water and food.

All of that in: (This is not an add for them its just where I bought mine)

http://www.havesaddlewilltravel.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/391
mine are blaze orange

Thor Burfine
Texas Equusearch