msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Saddlebag inventory: - whats in yours

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Saddlebag inventory: - whats in yours
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:42:55 -0500

Do you need to haul in water? If yes, what does your horse drink? Assuming
water is available in the field, consider investing in one of the various
water filtration devices used by backpackers.

Hear in the East water for horse is not a real problem, but for humans, that could be a different story. While the water filtration units can take care of bacteria and protozoon's, the chemical make up could be a problem. Saying that, it could also be a problem for the horse but since they only live 1/3 our life expectancy it may not be a problem for them. We must be careful for the pollutants like PCBs we find in a number of our Ohio streams. Over in the coal areas of Ohio, we have acid running streams. Some of these actually run orange. Of course neither man nor beast would fill up on this water. I guess that mankind is like bacteria in a Petri dish. After time the bacteria uses up the food and the waste ends up be toxic to the bacteria.

Chuck

-Jorene

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
Just the human water for three days adds a lot a
weight.