msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Saddlebag inventory: - whats in yours

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Saddlebag inventory: - whats in yours
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:07:24 -0500

I hear what your saying, however for the most part we are usually at a walk. We do use horn bags and some equipment on our person, I just still find it difficult to believe that saddle bags cause problem with the horses. My bags are more on the hip or just slightly forward. The tail end of my Aussie saddle is closer to the kidneys. I really haven't done any research on this topic yet. Yes we do distribute equipment between members., however to be in the field for up to 72 hours does require a lot of equipment and food, both human and horse. For those that can do it on 30 pounds must mean there are true Spartans. Just the human water for three days adds a lot a weight. MRE for three days would come in at over ten pounds. The suggested list that MSAR teams should carry must beyond 30 pounds. Irv's list was remarkable and most was need materials. Irv, do you have a weight on your fully load pack? I guess, since I brought this up, was to get feed back on whether our pack cause injury or is this a myth.

I like the idea of checking with ground pounders for there suggestions on light weight back packs. This offers an other advantage in that there are time one must dimount and become a ground pounder.

Chuck

"Packing Light" on the horse can make a big difference in endurance,
particularly in more challenging terrain where the horse is working harder.
Professional packers and experienced backcountry riders tend to agree ...
the key reason why they pack the extra weight on pack animals, and limit the
personal gear weight per person.

Weight over the horse's kidneys isn't recommended for any length of time,
which is also why riding double isn't advisable. Distributed weight is
easier for the horse to carry, and long term healthier for the horse ...
which is why saddles are designed to distribute weight. Contemporary
backcountry rider's gear commonly offers matching horn bags ... to
distribute the weight.

Groundpounders in SAR commonly pack about 30-35 pounds even in a 72 hour
pack, with any extra specialized gear distributed between team members. I
know folks who head into the backcountry for 3 days with 30 pounds of gear.
In MSAR many wear vests with multiple pockets for critical gear, and
distribute the rest between saddlebags and horn bags.

A lot of very lightweight gear is now available for backpackers, providing
good alternatives to the traditional gear piled high behind the saddle.
Experienced backpackers also seek good quality packs that distribute weight
and reduce back pain.

Check what the SAR folks with the lightweight packs are carrying, and
consider how that can be applied to MSAR. Also select lightweight items that
will have multiple use so you can leave other items at home. Your horse will
thank you. ;)

~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
SAR & CERT
Mounted SAR
www.ceoates.com/msar

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
[...]
handed me the most recent Trail Rider Magazine and showed me a short
article
about less is the best policy. The short paragraph states:

"Go Light
The worst possible location to carry weight is behind the saddle, over
your
horse's kidneys. Large saddlebags and saddle packs designed to carry
overnight camping gear tempt you to fill them with unneeded items, to the
possible detriment of your horse. Keep your saddlebags small and light.
If
you must carry heavier items, such as water bottles, etc. select pommel or
horn packs that fit on the front of the saddle. "
Montana Outfitter Dan Aadland
adapted from 101 Trail Riding Tips