msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR first aid saddle bag

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR first aid saddle bag
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:30:37 -0700

From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
The reason most SAR personnel stop at the First Aid level is that more
advanced training is not made available to them.

One of the advantages of SAR teams being attached to the county Sheriff is the potential for that agency providing instructors. Our county SAR Academy "meet minimum First Aid" class is actually First Responder. Our instructor is a Sgt who also teaches First Responder at the county Police Academy.

There is potential for any authorized SAR / MSAR team to make a deal with local law enforcement, fire, EMS or whomever to provide very affordable First Aid or First Responder training to the team. If the SAR organization is non-profit, there is also potential to talk an individual professional instructor into donating instructor time and use of materials as a write-off.

Minimum expectation in SAR is for First Aid, but those interested should be able to find an affordable method for First Responder training.

-Jorene