msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR first aid & overnight saddle bag

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR first aid & overnight saddle bag
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:20:06 -0400

Pennbo wrote:
>So, when you are called out how many of you take supplies that would
>enable you to camp out for 24 hours?

Do you mean camp at incident base, or camp in the field
(with horse, away from trailer and all other "civilized"
fixtures)?

I keep in my vehicle all the "basics" for "roughing it"
camping. Stove, fuel, cooking pot, many gallons of water,
non-perishable food, spoon, cup, bowl, change of clothes,
sleeping bag, tarp, etc. I have many, many times slept in
the vehicle or on the ground nearby. If a planned trip
(not a SAR mission) I usually also have a mountaineering
6-man tent (the kind that can stand up to high winds and
rain) but I rarely bother to use it. Mostly, I sleep in
the tarp.

I keep in my knapsack/waist pack and saddle bags: spare
cold weather clothes, multitool, heavy duty trash bags
(sometimes also a full length slicker), tried-and-true
first aid kit, small flashlight, spare bulb and batteries,
compass, whistle, map(s), 1-2 liters water, 3000 calories'
worth of food (dried fruit and meat, nuts, chocolate (in
winter), milkshake-in-a-can), and a few additional items
on the New Mexico "PACE Pack" list. So I am equipped to
overnight in the field and continue the next day in good
condition. I would be able to sleep, but not in comfort.

>The NASAR Ready Pack is a start-

Chris, please list the contents for us.