msar-riders - [MSAR] Pelleted feed, ignorance or bliss?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: QUINCYDEW@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Pelleted feed, ignorance or bliss?
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 00:17:15 EST

When trailering to an area my horses get a hay bag hung in front of them
to munch on. It helps to keep them calm and they have food in their
belly for when I have to pull them and go.

I just wish my horse would eat in the trailer, I had to pull her before
breakfast this morning and she spent over an hour in the trailer and didn't
eat a
single bite. Then when it was time to work all she wanted to do was grab
bites along the way which is not kosher with me, her rider.

I am currently switching to an all hay diet, with my senior horse still
getting some other supplements. But I too feel that a huge amount of our
current
horse health problems are with too rich, sugared feeds. And too hot of hay
types like alfalfa. I think we have lost the simpler way of feeding in
wanting
to feed our horses the best, which may not be the best for them.

Ann Taylor
Clark County Mounted Search and Rescue