msar-riders - [MSAR] pelleted feed

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: porleslie@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] pelleted feed
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 00:38:42 -0500

Feeds best taken along on a call out has always been an important topic for
MSAR. I have found that more and more areas prohibit any feed containing live
seeds. Fortunately hay cubes and various pelleted feeds have proliferated on
the market in recent years these products are also easier to carry than
traditional hay and loose grain mixed feeds. A horse on a call out is
usually working harder longer hours in addition to the excitement of a
different environment and lots of strange horses, sounds, sights, and smells.
any of these can contribute to an upset digestive system (ditto for the
rider). I have fount that a combination of hay cubes and pelleted senior
feed works well. It is quite a bit more expensive that my usual combination
of pasture, farm raised hay, and a small amount of bulk sweet feed from the
local elevator. but the difference for the few days each year that we are
away is negligible, and the commercial cubes and feed are a lot easier to
store and move.

Porter