msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Pelleted feed, ignorance or bliss?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Pelleted feed, ignorance or bliss?
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 08:33:53 -0800

I think we need to remember that founder (in its simplest definition) is an inflammation. That inflammation can be caused by several things. Pelleted feed on its own will probably not cause a founder UNLESS the horse has underlying metabolic issues. Unfortunately the horse world is seeing more and more horses with just such issues. We feed our horses too richly and we've helped them along to some diabetes like conditions.(do a search on Insulin Resistance in Equines) Rich hay, hay/grass too full of sugar, extremely high proteins (due to many factors not the least of which is the weather just prior to cutting), sweet treats too often.... lots of things can put a horse in line for founder. However, just like with diabetes, if there is one thing you can eliminate easily to reduce the potential for a metabolic disaster it would be sugars (including molasses and natural plant sugars).

Here is my problem- we feed grass hay. (also called grain hay in some parts of the country- oat, wheat, barley) Unlike alfalfa grass hay is NOT compact and does not travel well. It is bulky and loosely packed. This creates a potential problem if being called out IN THE FIELD for overnight or longer. Room in a pack horse is limited to necessary supplies and that usually doens't include hay for the mounts. We used to take along senoir feed as its easy on the digestion and least likely to precipitate a colic. However it is extremely high in sugars. The last couple of times I needed to pack feed I used oat hay cubes. They usually use a small amount of molasses as a binder but since I do not currently have any horses with metabolic issues it shouldn't be enough to tip the scales. However the vet and I have discussed choke and pellets vs cubes many times. Apparently cubes have a higher incidence of choke. So when I take them I do crumble them before feeding them. I am not 100% happy with this solution but to date haven't found a better one.

When trailering to an area my horses get a hay bag hung in front of them to munch on. It helps to keep them calm and they have food in their belly for when I have to pull them and go.

Looking forward to hearing others comments and experiences.

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR