msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Suggestions for MSAR related classes at WA State SARConference

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Slybarbara@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Suggestions for MSAR related classes at WA State SARConference
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 22:02:04 EST

In a message dated 2/25/2006 5:49:26 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
ilichten1@verizon.net writes:

There are several
organizational management courses available for volunteer emergency response
organizations. These include training for board members, financial managers,
and others who make the organization work on a day to day basis. One of the
large specialty insurers, VFIS, offers lots of courses in the 2-4 hour range
to reduce operational risk that may apply.

There are programs available for recruiting, retention, of volunteers from
the National Volunteer Fire Council or similar. There are also
presentations
for local LE or first there personnel on what to do until a search manager
gets there.

Both great suggestions, Irv, and these problems cross over to the other
units: 4x4, esar as well. I'll forward your post to our committee as a
suggestion.

>From my experience, the executive board generally fumbles along, gaining
experience as they go. I'll be interested to see how the conference
committee
feels - but I am all for a class on how to manage/lead volunteer
organizations.

thanks for the suggestion.
Barbara Sly
NWHSAR & WASAR2006.org

  • Re: [MSAR] Suggestions for MSAR related classes at WA State SARConference, Slybarbara, 02/25/2006