msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Pelleted feed, ignorance or bliss?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: T'mi Fi <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Pelleted feed, ignorance or bliss?
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 07:00:48 -0500

Paul and Chris,

I agree with both of you and welcomed the views expressed about feeding. I believe this is an important MSAR related topic since many are being required to be a self supporting resource for at 72 hours (for both the rider and horse). From what I've seen there are a fair about of MSAR folks who have mounts with quarter horse backgrounds. Since other conditions like HYPP are common in some quarter horses, nontraditional diet requirements monitoring must be practiced for those SAR Mounts. I suggest we avoid any "my way or the highway type" posts and keep our posts as short as possible.
Personal I have one horse that is HYPP -/+ and must be feed a pelleted diet with blade grass type hay. Using warm water, I make the feed soupy which helps prevents many of the problems assisted with a pellet feeding programs. When deployed and not working, I allow my horses an constant supply of hay (allowing them to eat at will) and always keep my deployment feed in double sealed airtight (pre measured) bags..

Be well,

Tomi`
TROT-SAR Mounted Team
Maryland
Paul wrote:

Chris,

I agree with you this thread is of value to us. Not everyone was raised on a ranch and has a lifetime of equine experience to draw upon. I've been following the discussion hoping to hear about most of the things you mentioned in your opening paragraph.

Paul