msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Pelleted feed, ignorance or bliss?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Pelleted feed, ignorance or bliss?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 21:22:20 -0800

I think that there are some aspects of discussion about pelleted feeds that are very relevant to MSAR. Such as- which types are best to take where a mission might not accomodate hay? Which travel best? Which have the lowest incidence of choke or colic? Do cubes work better than pellets- and what facts back this up? How would you go about feeding pellets to a horse that is usually on hay? Advice for getting them to eat slowly? etc etc etc <G>

However discussion as to whether they are a good or bad way of feeding your animal in general? I don't know. Since MSAR by its very name includes our equines, and since the care and feeding and keeping of those equines in top form should concern us all- maybe it is relevant. <G> (as long as we keep it civil!) Insulin Resistance (IR) and Cushings are becoming more and more prevelant and at least IR is directly related to feed - the verdict is still out concerning Cushings and feed.......

Just my thoughts,
Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR