msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Propose to your local AHJ

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Sherry C. Hicks" <shicks@nwinc.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Propose to your local AHJ
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:41:13 -0500

The group I am with does vertical recovery and ground SAR. We kinda split
from a group that had a bunch of internal problems. A group of us got fed up
with the bickering, more tiered of people who were there for their own
gains, in the other group and started a new group. Anyway, there is a NASAR
instructor who also split from that group. He agreed to spend a couple of
days hitting the high points. Now we have a bunch of independent study to
do, then he will give us the test. We have to pay whatever the fee is to
NASAR, but the instructor donated his time.

I have had to buy a boat load of equipment though. Some of it I think is
good, like a compass is a good idea for most people. I purchased a backpack
for the class that I can strap on the back of my saddle. It is a little
cumbersome, but the contents of the pack would be useful in the right
situation. It is designed to allow me to support myself and one other person
for 3 days. If something happened to my horse, which might be something I
had to do.

I would estimate that I have spent about $175 on the pack and its contents.
I spent two nights out of town; my husband was with me, spending another
$200. I have the list of required equipment if anyone is interested. Most of
it is stuff we would take anyway like a good first aid kit and a couple of
flashlights. It hasn't been cheap, but neither is my horse.

Sherry
Chattanooga, TN