msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Propose to your local AHJ

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Sherry C. Hicks" <shicks@nwinc.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Propose to your local AHJ
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:58:08 -0500

[Deleted included prior post. -Una]

We recently had a "rescue" where three rescuers went on foot to recover a 68
year old man who was lost in the mountains, within the Smokey Mountains
National Park. They found the man who was severely hypothermic. When they
found him night was coming and the temperature was dropping. He was unable
to walk. They did not have enough manpower or equipment to carry him out.
The victim had more protective equipment than they did. They were in an area
of the park with no communication. In the end they were all hypothermic and
had to be sent to the hospital when they got out of the woods.

What will you do when your victim has fallen, has internal injuries and is
unable to ride?

BTW, I like the compass with the clear back and mirror cover for map reading
much better than the military issued type. Our instructor said he even used
this type when he was in the military because you can see the map through
the clear back on the compass. You can align the directional lines on the
compass with the lines of delineation on the compass and determine a heading
easily. I tried them both and liked the clear backed one better. With the
mirror set at a 45% angle you can site a line quicker. For navigation, they
were both adequate.

Sherry
Chattanooga, TN