msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Propose to your local AHJ

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Propose to your local AHJ
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:27:02 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>
To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 2:55 PM

Chuck, your unit is based in Knox County, Ohio, and the AHJ at
hand is your county's EMA (emergency management agency) director.

So, the first question for you is this: In Ohio, is SAR normally
a function of EMA (emergency management agencies)? In most of
the US, it is a function of the county sheriff's office, and the
county sheriff's office and EMA are separate organizations. The
answer to this question may help to define how you request to be
called out.

This can be tricky since in rural areas search operations a conducted by volunteer fire departments. If the circumstances which might involve a crime, then the sheriff is in charge. Only when a situation becomes a major disaster would the EMA become involved. During our NIMS training last week, the EMA director desired to have our group ready for major callouts after a large scale event. MSAR can handle not only specific searches, but can contribute to multiple searches after tornados, floods or other large events. Our group has agreed to participate in such events.

The next question: what specific SAR needs do your AHJs have?
And which of those needs are not currently being met by other
SAR units? And which of those needs, particularly the *unmet*
ones, could your unit reasonably be prepared to meet? For
example, rarely are there enough local resources available for
hasty and/or night search (hasty searches often are night
searches), and horses are particularly valuable for both kinds
of searches.

Our group, unlike two of the six groups in Ohio, is SAR. These two groups only want to do searches and one of them does not do any night riding. We train at night two or three times a year. We also cross traine with K-9 units twice a year. We are training monthly on the non-technical rescue part of rescue. This includes rough terrain rescue, repelling, stablelizing the victim, & transport. In addition we are available 24/7/365. When called out last year by the Bladensburg Fire Department, our first unit was on scene 40 minuets after the call out. Other team members arrived soon after with the last team member arriving 1:05 after the call.

We are a small team, some 15 riders and another 4 ground staff. On the medical side our team includes one EMT, one LPN and one VET. We do not want to be everything, but would focus on search, rescue, and disaster emergency response. We think that in these areas we can give excellent service to our community and state.

Chuck
Kokosing Mounted Search And Rescue