msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Propose to your local AHJ

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Propose to your local AHJ
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:52:34 -0800

From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
Jorene,
Thanks for the encouragement.
I am CERT trained and NIMS trained also. The trick to getting the rest of
the group CERT trained is logistics. To get my certification it involved to
multiple weeks and my group does not have the time available. Most are
farmers that work late into the evening. The best I can do is become an
instructor and train them at our monthly meetings. Do you have any other
idea?

I understand the logistics issues - I live in a vast Ag region with many farmers and ranchers in MSAR. I'm a CERT Program Coordinator and instructor, NIMS and ICS instructor, SAR / MSAR instructor for my county's joint SAR Academy, etc. In your situation becoming a CERT instructor is a good long-term option, but I'd encourage having several folks on the team becoming instructors - all could also work as team leaders in MSAR disaster response. Another option is to work with local CERT instructors and see if it is feasible to schedule a special team training that would fit on the personal calendars. 3 rainy Saturdays, or something.

Particularly if you have plans for MSAR to be a disaster resource, also make sure your folks are aware that many FEMA classes are available online. http://training.fema.gov/emiweb/IS/crslist.asp

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar
Tulare-Kings CERT
www.tk-cert.org

Learn about Disaster SAR-related discussion on:
www.tk-cert.org/natlsar/