msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] WEEDS, SEEDS and GOOD DEEDS!

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] WEEDS, SEEDS and GOOD DEEDS!
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 09:27:09 -0700

What does it have to do with MSAR?

All too many places where we may be called to search, and would
be a valuable search asset, normally are off-limits to horses.
Eg, just a few miles from my house is the Valles Caldera National
Preserve (http://www.vallescaldera.gov/), a spectacular dormant
volcanic bowl...used for centuries as a cattle and sheep ranch.
Despite the meadows being full of non-native grasses, and their
complement of non-native, invasive weeds, visitors are requested
to drive through a carwash en route to the caldera, and although
VCNP does allow visiting horses under limited circumstances,
access is a continually changing yet constantly delicate issue.