msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Feeding SAR horses-manure rules

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Feeding SAR horses-manure rules
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:01:46 -0500

The manure rules vary significantly with jurisdiction. In the county parks
you can spread in the trees, but not in open fields. County and state say
that if you are moving no pooper scoop, but if you tie up you must. We did
get yelled at for leaving 3 small bales, not opened, next to a manure can in
a state park once, they said we should have trashed the hay in the 55 gallon
drum (which was full). The feds at Valley Forge have never said anything
about it on trail or in trailer areas but you cannot bring a horse into a
picnic area or food concession area. There are hitch rails by most of the
comfort stations in the picnic areas though.

If you anticipate having large numbers of horses in an area where they are
not often "stabled" make sure search management (or you) arrange for water,
hay, and cleanup. If it is more than one day a Dumpster would probably work
in most areas. Just remember, in PA manure haulers must be licensed, so
don't tell anyone what is in the container.