msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] WEEDS, SEEDS and GOOD DEEDS!

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] WEEDS, SEEDS and GOOD DEEDS!
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 09:56:47 -0800

This is a subject about which many horse folk feel passionate! But here's the deal- it is already a concern of those who legislate. Those lobbying against livestock in state and federal forests are just using it as one more tool to keep us out. Do we impact the local flora and fauna? YOU BET WE DO. Trying to deny that fact is going to make us look like a bunch of yahoo's. What we need to do is our own studies that show that that impact is either mitigatable (we can fix it without diapers and/or weed free seed) or that it is beneficial rather than detrimental. Backcountry Horseman are lobbying in our favor and could use everyone's support (if you dont' already belong- join). The BIG issue here is that almost all of us buy our hay from a different area/region than where we ride. THAT is the problem. The weeds that are in that hay are not indigenous/native to the areas where we ride. Indigenous weeds are not now, and have never been, a concern. Deer, bear, birds- you name it, eat from the same region they live in so the seeds they drop are from native weeds. The exception to this that is always given is migratory birds. Well their migration routes are so established that the seeds they carry are now indigenous to the areas they fly over and to.

Do we have a choice? Not really. It is the law in many places already. We can only do our best to comply and to help fund those who are fighting for our freedoms in the law making chambers.

The real concern is what if it IS established that livestock are contributing to the decline of healthy forests due to the introduction of non-native weeds? I for one will do my best to feed weed free seed and take whatever other steps are necessary to reduce our impact. I want healthy forests because I plan to ride there and I plan on having my great great grandkids be able to ride in that same forest. We are part of a much larger web of life that is already being negatively impacted from all sides by humans. I will do whatever I can to help keep it intact- as long as the actions are based on fact and science not hysteria.

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR