msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Feeding SAR horses-manure rules

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Feeding SAR horses-manure rules
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 02:25:18 -0500

Pennsylvania has a phosphorous control rule under the pollution act that
requires a manure plan for fixed installations with certain concentrations
of horses, cows, etc. It would not apply to a temporary base camp but might
apply to a permanent camp ground facility being used as a base camp. Part of
the regs are that haulers must be certified as manure haulers since it is
modeled after Haz Waste (the horse is the generator of course). It can
really get amusing sometimes.

The other part is feed. Most riders bring their own to eliminate the
problems associated with changing in a hurry. I used to keep a 75 pound bag
of 10% in the Suburban until one day it came up and met my head during a
sudden stop. Now I keep a 5 gallon pail (6 feedings) in the trailer and fill
it from the bin while the water tanks are filling (45 gallons) and 2-3 bales
are tossed in. People food is easier since we get called out by the local
authority and can use the canteen services that serve the VFC's. On one job
where the PA State Police and TROT were both there the school that was being
used for base set up water troughs and about 10 bales of fresh hay, but they
found the kid right away (maybe to avoid the local water?).