msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Feeding SAR horses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Feeding SAR horses
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:31:08 -0500

My guy gets free choice hay, water, etc. while turned out about 20 hours a
day. In the trailer he has a hay bag all the time, and while on a high line.
He may not be eating all the time but it keeps him calm knowing munchies are
available. He also likes to be line of sight to someone he knows when high
lined at the base camp. Alternatively, I rig a rope corral with an electric
string backup so he can move around at night. A tree usually keeps his
water at the right height and he eats off the ground all the time. The one
thing he really hates is standing around in the trailer.