msar-riders - [MSAR] WEEDS, SEEDS and GOOD DEEDS!

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] WEEDS, SEEDS and GOOD DEEDS!
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 11:02:09 -0500

[Deleted HTML duplicate, added In-Reply-To header. -Una]

I can tell a lot of you are not farmers! There is a
countless number of weeds that are carried by the wind as well as animals.
Oh and about that AISAN RUST (that's a plant virus in case you did not know
...well folks, that WAS ONE THAT blew in to the country via storms.

To me, it is ridiculous that if you are going to have hroses and horse
trails, then, do not impose silly regulations that contradict the two. And
if the trail says horses, perhaps those with horse-and manure a-phobia ought
to take a different route! Nature is as nature does! After all, whio scoops
poop after the millions of deer in this country....?

Drive anywhere in the country, talk to most farmers who know something
about farming...look at their fields, do you think those fields got pristine
by not allowing the wind to blow? Try clean seed, clean fields and
chemicals....that wil get them clean..or hand pulling the weeds...

Now, if you ask me, to take care of the weed problem, you need to get after
the set aside grounds that are not mowed or burned before the weeds head out
to produce more seed. And what is the point if you mow after the plants head
out?

As for horses eating weeds, there are numerous weeds out there that are
poisonous to large animals.

Check out these websites:

FOURTEEN WAYS TO AVOID PLANT POISONING
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/toxic.html

TOXIC PLANTS - A BIBLIOGRAPHY BY JEAN BURETON
http://ead.univ-angers.fr/%7Epharma/bruneton/

PICTURE DIRECTORY OF PLANTS BY THEIR ALPHABETICAL LISTING
http://vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/by_pic.htm

CULTIVATED OATS - (a do not "not read" if you grain you grain your
livestock...)
http://vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant13.htm

DO YOU HAVE POISONOUS WEEDS IN YOUR PASTURES OR FORAGES?
BY JERRY DOLL -
http://ipcm.wisc.edu/uw_weeds/extension/articles/poisonpasture.htm

THREATENED AND ENDANGERES PRAIRIE PLANTS -
http://www.chias.org/www/edu/mitc/prate.html

Personally folks, I would be more worried and real concerned about what
goes into some of the compost farms than I would be about the horses pooping
on a trail or roadway. I would be real concerned about heavy metal poisoning
and things of that nature. That people dump in their dumpsters that do not
get sorted properly to go either to a landfill or compost dump.l

And if you get your hay out of road ditches, well, take a gander and search
and read about at MIL SLAG and its detriments...the runoff from the roadways
into the ditches carry one heck of an environmental impact....
.
http://www.delawareriverkeeper.org/factsheets/grows.html

One last site, let me throw this in for heavy metals....

http://www.leadinspector.com/?OVRAW=LEAD%20POISIONING&OVKEY=lead%20poisoning&OVMTC=standard

AND IF YOU WORRY ABOUT WHAT TRACKS ON YOUR SHOES BESIDES SEED...GO SEARCH
PARVOVIRUS.....THAT'S ONE YOU DOG OWNERS NEED TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT. That
virus came into the US via someones shoes that traveled by boat.

And if you think the gypsy moth just flew in, you better wash your car
before you enter some of the forests in Canada....or you will not be going in
there at all.
Well, I hope the links work!

Karen Nesbitt
MSAR - ILLINOIS UNAFILIATED

(Sorry to be so long and windy, but you all just opened a big can of worms
when it comes to horses and manure and stuff on the trail....and so what does
all this have to do with MSAR - well, you figure it out before you call 911!)

VISIT US AT:
http://kbefarms.bravehost.com/index.html
BLOG ON:
http://spaces.msn.com/members/kbefarms/