msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: mounted patrol testing question

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: mounted patrol testing question
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:41:31 -0800

From: "Paul Fleming" <pfleming@nwlink.com>
My unit also has the "Mount and dismount form either side" requirement. In
our SOP this is a Horse requirement. The animal must allow this to take
place and not move. Are you guys really telling me you make people
demonstrate they can mount and dismount from both sides from the ground as a
matter of qualification?

Just curious - How do you demonstrate the horse will stand quietly for mount/dismount from both sides if the rider doesn't perform that?

Mount/Dismount on both sides, from the ground, unassisted, is considered by many to be a safety issue for both horse and rider.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar