msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: mounted patrol testing question

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Paul Fleming" <pfleming@nwlink.com>
  • To: <scotland@mindspring.com>, "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: mounted patrol testing question
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:43:49 -0800

JL,

It looks to me like everyone is reading far to much into this getting on
from the ground and playing what if. Mission liability come on, and it has
nothing to do with capable riders, You are right members in discomfort you
mentioned shouldn't be on the mission. Mounting unassisted from the ground
sounds real good but doesn't mean squat. Just because you can demonstrate it
in training holds no guarantee you will be able to do it in the field and I
have yet to have anyone convince me it is necessarry. I believe its a bogus
requirement. You threw the "Safety " flag out there then didn't make your
case. I'ed like to hear more.

If you have been out a long time and are just plain tired, wet and can't
climb back up on your horse then lead him to a rock, stump or make him stand
in a ditch. Just get on the horse, we don't give points for style. If
safety is an issue here is fatigue and has nothing to do with the mounting
requirements its poor resource management.

This has been an interesting discussion and I enjoyed your input.

Regards
Paul