msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: mounted patrol testing question

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: mounted patrol testing question
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:42:09 -0800

> But my concern would be when does the person that can't
> mount from the ground become a liability to the mission. When does that
> person become part of the problem rather than
> part of the process. Regardless of the reason and regardless of what side
> you mount from, if one cannot mount from the
> ground, is that safe? Has that person now added an additional
> responsibility on to the Team Leader.

I think that this issue is a good example of why a team leader needs to
be familiar with all unit members- including equines. In an ideal world
everyone would be expertly trained, totally effective, self-sufficient,
in top physical shape, and have a completely suitable mount. In reality
we have various degrees of skill and strength in different areas. Team
leaders always have to evaluate the abilities of their team members and
make assignments based on that knowledge. <G> I would not want to lose
the expertise of a member who KNOWS the terrain, including the hidden
trails and unmarked hazards, because age or injury has limited to a some
degree their ability to mount from both sides unassisted! I would keep
that in mind while creating teams and assignments though.

Just my thoughts on this issue.

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR