msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: mounted patrol testing question

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: mounted patrol testing question
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:10:15 -0800

We haven't made this an issue so far on our team. It seems that for
testing purposes maybe aids should be used only if they can be carried
with you. There are several kinds of drop down stirrups that work
including one that is simply a circle of rope with two short bars. (You
slide one bar inside the stirrup crosswise, the other hangs down and you
can then use it as a step to reach the "real" stirrup. Easy to make and
carry!) We have a couple of folks who ride very tall horses and while
they SHOULD be able to mount unassisted in the field from either side
reality is that most would look for an aid of some sort. Their skills
are invaluable to the team so this seems a minor issue. I imagine that
in the field they would simply walk their mount until a suitable aid was
found. <G>

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR