msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: mounted patrol testing question

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: mounted patrol testing question
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:16:53 -0700

>Mary Hawes wrote:
>>Do you know if the majority of units test their members
>>on mounting & dismounting from both sides unaided?

No one has done a survey that I know of, but I can tell you
that most written test requirements I have seen do require
mounting and dismounting both sides. But what exactly does
"unaided" mean? It could mean no other person to lift you
up, or no other person to hold your horse, or no using your
stirrups, or using a saddle without girth/cinch. That last
is a bit extreme, but I do know a few riders who train to
such a high standard. I don't make a habit of it, but I do
sometimes ride trails with no stirrups, or no bridle, just a
halter and lead.

But maybe "unaided" means not using steps or not having the
horse stand in an available ditch. Get the idea? As stated,
the test metric is ambiguous.

Not picking on you, Mary; this is a generic problem in many
team training documents.

Una