msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: ICS Field Coordinator

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: lmabry@zianet.com
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: ICS Field Coordinator
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:12:56 -0700

does anyone know if there will be another FC class in the southern part of the state?

Una Smith writes:
Jeff Glaze wrote:
I am currently attending the F.C. school going on in Santa Fe.

I know about it...I got recruited for that too. They are so
hot to get more FCs in NM District 1 that they asked me to
do both FC and SC training simultaneously. (The recruiting
has been going on a long time now, on an individual basis;
what is new is that it is no longer individual.) But I have
too much else going on; it just isn't going to happen that
fast.
Everyone else in New Mexico: do consider training as Section
Chiefs; that would dramatically improve your expertise and
experience, and provide good synergy with your MSAR training.

We are using the Source Management Systems Workbook. Here is
what the book had to say about Mounted Resources:
Advantages - Travel at a slightly faster hourly speed than hasty searchers.
- Rider sits higher, has a different perspective, and can
see further.
Limitations - A greater logistical support need: trailers, feed, corral
facilities.
- Hoof prints destroy footprints and other subtle clues.
- As rider is further from ground, less likely to discover
footprints and other subtle clues.
- limited to trails and open country, can't effectively
search thick vegetation or rugged terrain.
Sources - Sheriffs posse.
- Organized clubs
- Non-affiliated individuals.

Gadzooks. That is pathetic!!!
We absolutely can and must provide something better than this.
But, first question: where does this book come from? Who
wrote it, who distributes it, who decides what new material
goes into it? You're in an ideal position to get answers to
these questions... Also, who are your instructors?

Jeff, will you be in Fanta Se tomorrow (Wednesday) night? Come to our meeting; our county sheriff will be there, to give us a pitch on why we should become re-affiliated with
his office. We really should get together and share info,
while you are in the area.
Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico