msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:50:18 -0600

Jorene wrote:
>Perhaps you're not familiar with the SARTECH I requirements that you think
>are necessary to demonstrate appropriate leadership knowledge. What you
>didn't understand is we are already there, or higher.

Jorene, you're still missing my point. Here is an example of
my point: companies that teach test prep courses for the SAT
(Scholastic Aptitude Test, for applicants to US colleges) train
their instructors and designers of course materials by having
them take actual SAT tests. Not to learn the content, but to
learn the context in which the content is delivered.

I am sure all members of the NASAR MSAR committee have great
SAR skills and experience. But clearly few of you have equal
experience with NASAR courses and certification exams. Yet
you're developing the basis for a course and a certification
exam.

One factor that led me not to join the committee is that I
have extremely limited access to NASAR courses. Had I joined,
I felt it would have been my personal obligation not only to
take NASAR courses and exams, but also to get qualified as a
NASAR instructor. Note I am not saying I think anyone else
should be equally obliged. Although I do think the idea has
merit.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico