msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:39:35 -0600

Jorene wrote:
>At one point Una suggested there be discussion here regarding the NASAR MSAR
>standards in progress, and I hope people take her up on it.

We can only do so if we have more specific input *from* the
NASAR MSAR committee; don't be such a black hole, you guys!

>For example, how do people feel about having 3 levels in the
>basic MSAR standards that are supposed to be applicable
>nationwide? (Entry level, standard MSAR, and leader/management
>level)

I feel indifferent, but then this question is too telegraphic.
I don't know what particulars you have in mind. I think there
needs to be a basic MSAR standard nationwide. Note "basic",
not "entry level"; the connotations of "entry level" are bad.
Also, I recommend "intermediate" rather than "standard"; you
don't want to create the impression that is as much skill as
anyone needs.

I don't know if there is enough stuff to justify a leader/
/management level MSAR standard, as distinct from SARTECH I.
Please outline the scope of this proposed standard.

Jorene has mentioned she does not belong to NASAR. I hope she
and the rest of the committee will make it a priority not only
to join NASAR, but to take courses and pass the certifications
for at a minimum SARTECH II. Before even attempting to write
a leader/management level standard, you all really should know
from firsthand experience what the SARTECH I standard entails.

There definitely needs to be a wilderness MSAR standard, for
those of us in wilderness areas. To include the fundamentals
of packing, off-trail navigating, finding and/or providing
water suitable for horses, and overnight camping independent
of base camp, trailers, or any other form of accomodation.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico