msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:42:32 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Ezell" <eztech@pdq.net>
> I salute all of you contributing to this effort. I've talked with some of
> the people who worked on the initial NASAR K9 standards. Not a trivial
task.
> It was a monumental effort getting agreement from the K9 folks on what
> should be included and excluded. I wouldn't expect nearly the hassle from
> MSAR folks. (You know how picky we dog folks can be!)

I snipped a bunch of good stuff, Jeff. And you're right that it shouldn't be
near the hassle working with MSAR folks since our research indicates that
there is a core of common elements in standards across the country. We'll be
building off those common elements. I also get in tons of email related to
the NASAR MSAR standards-in-progress, and I have only seen one person
actually objecting to NASAR as the vehicle to create and establish national
standards. Most are ecstatic that there is an opportunity to create national
standards for MSAR working with an organization that already has recognized
national standards because that connection will launch the new MSAR
standards more quickly. And I've gotten a lot of appreciation that we have
intentionally sought input from the MSAR community to provide us with
additional guidance from all over the country.

At one point Una suggested there be discussion here regarding the NASAR MSAR
standards in progress, and I hope people take her up on it. For example, how
do people feel about having 3 levels in the basic MSAR standards that are
supposed to be applicable nationwide? (Entry level, standard MSAR, and
leader/management level)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs, Committee Chair
NASAR MSAR Standards Committee