msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:10:09 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Dillard" <DILLARDM@mustang.k12.ok.us>
>[...] our Nations' States' Emergency Management Officials have
> recognized NASAR as that standard. [...]
> Think on the magnitude of this project. Every SAR personnel in the
> country, "standardized." No matter who, what, when, where, how... the
> appropriate agencies personnel will be melded into an efficient,
> functioning coordinated component to get the job done, reducing loss of
> life and property damage in a disaster. [...]

I like the way your mind works, Mike. <g> This effort to provide national
standards for SAR fits right under the efforts of Homeland Security. Law
Enforcement has national standards. Fire has national standards. Volunteers
like CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) are trained based on national
standards. They're even rolling out a new national standard as an overhead
for ICS that covers the multiple agency coordination. It is a HUGE advantage
in any kind of emergency/disaster response to have everyone on the same page
... and that requires national standards.

National standards are being taken very seriously. Since so many agencies
and organizations nationwide have already identified NASAR as the source for
SAR-related national standards, I doubt much consideration would be given to
a non-NASAR MSAR standard. National standards are important enough that many
of the government programs are coming out with a mandate to comply with
certain changes and standards ... or not be eligible to receive grant money.
Money talks. ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs, Committee Chair
NASAR MSAR Standards Committee