msar-riders - RE: [MSAR] NASAR standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jeff Ezell" <eztech@pdq.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [MSAR] NASAR standards
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:04:50 -0500

Mike, Suzanne, Una. Jorene & others,

Thanks for your efforts and educational comments. The good news is these
Nat'l Standards are not being implemented "upon" the MSAR community, but
rather "with" the invited input of what they should be, "from" the MSAR
community. MSAR teams should know best what are appropriate expectations of
searchers in different regions and under what search circumstances. The bad
news to some are that there will even be national standards and to others
that they won't exactly fit a regional need. But that can also be good news
because agencies should more readily accept a volunteer MSAR team who meets
at least some national minimums. NASAR seems a likely tag team partner for
MSAR since they already have the "national acceptance" of many agencies.
That's a plus. Are they perfect? NO, but here is a chance to help them
become better and get what is needed into the standards. Also it appears
they are moving towards more accessible training and testing of their
current programs. The cost issue is undesirable, but we all know it takes
money to do anything, SAR isn't immune. With adherence to national standards
it should be easier for your team to get grants to cover training and
certification costs. Encourage people you know to become instructors and
testers. That will speed it up.

I salute all of you contributing to this effort. I've talked with some of
the people who worked on the initial NASAR K9 standards. Not a trivial task.
It was a monumental effort getting agreement from the K9 folks on what
should be included and excluded. I wouldn't expect nearly the hassle from
MSAR folks. (You know how picky we dog folks can be!)

Overall, the national standards requirements seem like they are coming
anyway. So I hope all you knowledgeable MSAR folks will jump in and make
them the best they can be. Now is the time.

Jeff Ezell
US Regional Search Dogs
US Search Affiliates
...to Search...to Save...