msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NASAR Standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: tm-fi <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NASAR Standards
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 05:33:31 -0400

That is an excellent suggestion!

As my Team's Training Officer, I keep documentation on every training exercise, to include which horse is used.  Many members on our Team have more than one horse.  Each horse has its own file and its own Horse & Rider Evaluation record.  Other than testing items and H&R records, personal information such as, current coggins number, full description and name of the horse are also documented (you simply can't just state a chestnut with a white blaze).

I use training codes for each team member. As an example, "7, 15 w/#2" tells me that the horse listed in that personnel file was used for a GPS mounted field exercise and horse #2 was used for that days training.  I also have a cross reference set of files for that particular GPS mounted exercise, which has a detailed breakdown of training directions, performance expectations and minimum passing percentages.  In some cases it is mandated that remedial training in a related field must be taken before a failed exercise can be re-tested.

While no team can totally guarantee that "any" horse is 100% as a public service equine, training documented indicates that the said mount has demonstrated the ability to safely perform in such an activity.  That is another reason we require 40 hours of in-service per year for our trainees and our operational personnel.  The 40 hour rule upset a couple of old times, but oh well, they either accepted it or dropped off the Team.

Tomï  Finkle
TROT-SAR Mounted Team
State of Maryland

pennbo@bbv.net wrote:
I would also recommend that MSAR personnel keep
a log book of their training for each horse used, just like the SAR dog handlers do,
this will also help to protect you if a suit does occur.

Christy in Montana
Our county requires us to keep logs for exactly this reason. If you can prove you are training and adhering to an acceptable standard chances of a judgement against your team in a lawsuit is much lessened. Of course I live in California, the sue-you state, so maybe that is why they are so adamant about being prepared! <G>

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR