msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:18:16 -0600

Mike et al.,

FWIW, Jorene and I have been Usenet acquaintances for many
years, and in those years we have argued many times before.
I suppose you anticipate this thread degenerating into ugly
ad hominems. That won't happen; Jorene and I both know
better. The process of thoroughly chewing over a complex
issue, as we are doing now, is often intense but generally
useful. Both of us know this and how to keep our tempers
in check. Those of you who have met me in person know that
I come across as intense even when relaxed. This can make
others uncomfortable, I know, but all I can suggest is try
to let it go.

I think this thread has been useful, in shedding light on
the political and practical aspects of designing a standard
and promulgating it at a national level, in an environment
where most user groups who would adopt such a standard are
not national entities.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico