msar-riders - [MSAR] NASAR standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "trailsendfarm@erols.com" <trailsendfarm@erols.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] NASAR standards
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:28:15 -0400

Well, I'm finally going to weigh on on this very lively discussion. I
think some folks might be missing the point I believe Jorene is trying to
make here:

Jorene wrote:
> it is simple enough to just use
[NASAR's] standard without testing for the NASAR certification.

Una wrote:
>I don't agree. [. . . .]
>If an organization adopts a NASAR standard but does not use
>NASAR's fee-based programs then either (a) the organization
>violates its standard or (b) its standard is not the NASAR
>standard.
>Una

If one (or one's search organization) is not interested in NASAR membership
and test fees and so forth, one may still find value in using the standards
that have been (and are being) written as a MODEL for one's own
organization and situation.

True, you couldn't claim your team "met NASAR standard XYZ" without paying
the fees to taking the certification tests from NASAR coordinators.

You COULD, however, point out that your own team's standards are largely
(or loosely) based on NASAR standard XYZ, to provide a point of reference
to your audience (th agency that would call you out). This would also show
how your team has taken serious steps and researched other widely
recognized sources of skills and standards.

And I'll join Jorene in identifying myself as also part of the NASAR MSAR
proposed standards committee. Much of our own discussion brings up similar
questions about what teams in which parts of the nation would try to meet a
NASAR written and endorsed MSAR standard, and how we might phrase it to
also make it inviting to other teams to use as a MODEL for their own
personal set of standards.

Hope I made some sense.

Suzanne Anderson, team manager, SARTech II
TROT Mounted Search Team
Maryland

http://mail2web.com/ .