msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards [PMX:#]

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards [PMX:#]
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:47:05 -0600

Suzanne Anderson wrote:
>some folks might be missing the point I believe Jorene is trying to
>make here:
[...]
>one may still find value in using the [NASAR] standards that have
>been (and are being) written as a MODEL for one's own organization
>and situation.

I think we all do get the point Jorene is trying to make. Really!

But why should any agency credit NASAR as the model for their own
standard? NASAR's standard will itself be modeled on pre-existing
MSAR standards. The primary reason I see for advocating any NASAR
standard as a model is that somehow NASAR may be perceived as a
primary source of authority. But I think this serves more to lend
NASAR authority, than to borrow authority from NASAR.

>You COULD, however, point out that your own team's standards are largely
>(or loosely) based on NASAR standard XYZ, to provide a point of reference
>to your audience (th agency that would call you out).

Were I to adopt such a standard, I might point out how it is or is
not similar to other standards, perhaps including NASAR standard XYZ.
Would I describe such a standard as "based on" NASAR standard XYZ?
No, because that is unlikely to be true. Any future standard for
MSAR is unlikely to differ much from the better standards that are
already in use.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico