msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Identifying NASAR MSAR Instructors

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Identifying NASAR MSAR Instructors
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:20:34 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Fleming" <pfleming@nwlink.com>
> IMHO it seems a little premature to be to be trying to identify
> instructors qualifications until the information to be instructed is
> identified (the standards).

We already have a pretty good handle on the generic rider-equine portion of
the standards. (This is for core / fundamental MSAR, not any specialty
training.) Much of it is fairly common in MSAR standards nationwide. By
inquiring ahead of time, those people who have been hitting me on email with
"we need to address getting the MSAR horses and riders better trained even
in fundamental riding!" can actually express some thoughts. By expressing
those thoughts, they'll also be providing some guidance on what kind of
expectations THEY have for the quality of horsemanship in MSAR ... which
will, in turn, provide more guidance for what goes into those standards.

The question is regarding the Instructor skills to PREPARE the team for
testing. The local instructor may/may not be an official NASAR instructor.
Many MSAR teams won't have someone already on the team who is qualified to
provide any rider training instruction, but how do you get that point across
to those teams?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs, Committee Chair
NASAR MSAR Standards Committee