msar-riders - [MSAR] Disaster response for MSAR / Limited Expectations for MSAR?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Disaster response for MSAR / Limited Expectations for MSAR?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:32:51 -0700

From: "Una Smith" <una@lanl.gov>
> Jorene wrote:
> >But disaster response has huge potential for MSAR response - did you get
> >into that area at all?
>
> Only very superficially.  [...]
traffic and crowd control [...]
evacuation of threatened areas. [...]
> Basically, MSAR units in New Mexico have a fairly good idea re
> their roles in disaster response situations.
Hmmm. Now I see where there is a big difference between our approaches. You're focused on better use of MSAR in SAR. I'm pushing to expand the horizons of MSAR because the "traditional" MSAR team typically focuses more on the Search aspect in their training and response, and the impact of technology is already focusing SAR call-outs more on the Rescue / Go fetch. (Think cell phones, PLB, etc.) And with more use of the GPS there will be, in general, fewer "lost" calls in more remote areas. We're already seeing decreased need for traditional MSAR response. However, there is substantial additional opportunity for Mounted response in disaster ... provided the MSAR teams and SAR Management are aware of the opportunities. All depending on the type of disaster, of course. ;)

Consider that where feet and vehicles have limited or no access, horses/mules might still be mobile. MSAR can also come prepared for several days on scene, which is a big Logistics advantage. Obviously assignments would vary according to access, training, equipment, etc.

You mention traffic and crowd control and evacuation. I won't go into the entire long list here, but to give you an idea of some of the other fundamental ways that a generic MSAR team is ALREADY capable of helping in a disaster, consider perimeter patrol / patrol of an evacuated area, general security as a visible deterrent, communications relays, mounted courier, mounted First Aid (or higher medical), SAR for stranded residents, use extra saddle mounts to transport rescuers in and people out, and use weight drag training to clear roads of debris. Those who have pack animals are even more useful, and with MSAR packing skills can apply similar skills to disaster response. For example, pack in supplies to rescuers or stranded residents, position and maintain radio repeaters, transport medical or other gear, be mounted medical / rescue / etc. with more gear and capabilities. Rigs - trucks and trailers - can also be extremely useful during a disaster hauling things or providing transport.

The list goes on. And all this does is transfer MSAR potential in SAR to similar application in disasters. Add some training, and MSAR can be even more effective in disasters.

To be even better focused on the potential for MSAR responding to disasters, riders/teams could go after disaster-specific training. CA at the state level has already addressed this by recommending ground SAR personnel cross train in Basic or Light USAR (Urban SAR - the FEMA/Fire training.)  MSAR could easily go there, and become a Mounted Basic USAR team that has access to less accessible areas. The obvious source for Basic USAR training is the CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) 20 hours of training being rolled out nationwide under the volunteer Citizen's Corps program under Homeland Security. Go to local Fire for the rest of the training to reach Light USAR level, carry the additional USAR-related gear in on pack animals, and you'd have a mobile Mounted Light USAR team capable of making a notable difference during a disaster.

That's a very brief overview of MSAR in disaster. And those willing to use their feet and carry their own packs can go places where it may not be safe to take your mount. But if the MSAR teams and SAR Managers (and emergency services managers that coordinate disaster response) aren't connecting the dots regarding the various opportunities for MSAR in disaster, the mounted teams will be limited to things like traffic control that any generic volunteer can perform with little or no training ... and the MSAR resource during a disaster will be greatly under-utilized.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,