market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] clarification of use of "organic"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vern and Amy <vaspencer AT sisna.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] clarification of use of "organic"
  • Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 07:14:31 -0700

Thanks, Rivka!

If I thought it would pay to be in the system, I might join. Right now, my markets are small enough all our customers are happy when we honestly say that we can't use the word "organic", but we grow the same way. Before we started, I asked a larger vendor about it, and they said they were sticking with NOP, but if they were starting out knowing what they do about the paperwork, they wouldn't join. Someone else in the system said inspectors don't know what you are spraying when the inspector is not there--and I know that person doesn't cheat. Not knowing may change somewhat with a testing new rule. I also know a conventional grower who tells customers "I am as close to organic as you can get." I think he means "I am as close as *I* can get!" Which explains why we have NOP.
Then we have certified growers who buy starts from another certified grower who buys in conventional stuff for resale. He doesn't advertise that as organic, but people assume or knowingly cut corners because "organic" starts and seeds are too expensive. I'm not going to rat people out--it isn't my system.

Vern