market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] clarification of use of "organic"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vern and Amy <vaspencer AT sisna.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] clarification of use of "organic"
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 04:41:46 -0700

I agree that bad guys will eventually get caught and pay the consequences. (If not in this life, then in the life to come if they don't change their ways.)

I appreciate your level-headed reasoning, as always. However, I know what I know. Maybe the certifying agency is falling down. Maybe people are cheating. Maybe the rules are too lax in some areas.
An organic grower told me that they can buy conventional if they document that what they want to buy is not available or is too expensive organically.
I have seen organic growers reselling conventional starts at a farmers-only market. They even displayed the original grower's literature on how to grow at their stand! Somehow, though, they are able to avoid the complicated scenario you envisioned. They don't sell organic starts.

I ran into another organic grower buying conventional gopher bait at the store. He said it wasn't for his field, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, but it shouldn't be that hard to pay cash, hide it in an obscure place and not record it if he wanted to.

I can see that the record-keeping can help you run a better farm, and we are working that direction. I'm not ready to pay an inspector to drive 150 miles one way to make sure I am keeping really good records, though. :-)

Vern