market-farming - [Market-farming] NOW: Opinions on NOP WAS: A Farmer's Opinion on NRCS and why its a poor pro gra...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm <karen AT rootsfarm.info>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] NOW: Opinions on NOP WAS: A Farmer's Opinion on NRCS and why its a poor pro gra...
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 07:07:45 -0400

Dominica is struggling with getting a certification system for "organic."  Some want to bring in 3rd party certifiers accepted by EU & U.S.; others want a local PGS system.  There are pros and cons for both ($$, record keeping requirements, appropriateness of big country/big farm standards for our small mountainside (no flat fields) terrain, whom exactly will be benefited by which system and if benefits will support local economy and local/regional food security, whether a local PGS certification will be acceptable for sufficient markets to accommodate our production, etc. etc.).  Another question has to do with changing perceptions of such external certification vs local PGS systems.  Your experience and  thoughts on continuing credibility of NOP certification vs PGS certification would be very helpful in our attempt to get a Dominica-appropriate system that also supports export sales of our produce.  Is NOP's credibility currently challenged?

Thanks and best wishes to all,

Karen

Roots Farm Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs