market-farming - [Market-farming] "Farmers" (was: Egg Prices)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] "Farmers" (was: Egg Prices)
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:15:25 -0500

I would argue that, fortunately, the world of farming is not so polarized.

I personally want the best of both worlds...a superior product with as much profit as possible.  :)

I would also like to point out that few farms are actually corporate owned, even the large scale ones, and that regardless of what we argue here, they DO indeed provide a product that is in demand by the population at large.  Not every farm in the United States has access to markets to sell to markets in dense population areas with higher amounts of disposable income.

In my tours of farms and farmers markets I have met small farmers that produce crap and are greedy and huge multi-thousand acre farms that produce an excellent product running a multi-million dollar farm at nearly a minimum wage and love, as only a farmer could, growing grain and beans.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855