market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Egg prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Aaron Brower <aaronbrower AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Egg prices
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 08:27:18 -0800 (PST)

We sell eggs for $5/dozen but don't think they are profitable in themselves.
We
continue to do them because they have value outside of any profit or loss. We
pasture them, moving them around our fields all summer, adding to the soil
and
attracting attention from passer-bys and from the local media.
Also, people come to the farm or join the csa specifically for our eggs. We
may
not make money directly from the eggs but we do indirectly. Some come for the
eggs but buy our veggies and dairy.
$5 may sound like a lot to some but we sell out everyday, especially since
the
recent salmonella outbreak. People get visibly upset when we do not have any
eggs.

Aaron,
Rollinsford, NH