market-farming - [Market-farming] Chicken feed and the market.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Chicken feed and the market.
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:05:46 -0500

There has been a grain growing workshop in Jacksonville, ME for the past two years. It was held in late July. If anyone is interested in this please let me know and I'll find out if it's going to be held again this year.

Robin
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I dont know which came first, The Kneading Conference, or the guys here starting up with
small grains, but they are doing it with at least some result. My neighbor had a couple of
ton bags of organic wheat he was sending up to Crown of Maine for milling when I stopped
by last year. The local organic growers pooled together to buy a used combine, I have not heard
how much it is being used.

My experience here has been with Wapsie Valley, an open pollinated dent corn that has
yellow ears, red ears, and some that are red and yellow mixed. Claim to fame is
the excellent corn bread it makes.Huge plants, big ears, twoon most plants. I would think
it would make an interesting change from the usual dried ornamental sold for decoration.

Dry ear corn shells out at close to 50% measure and can be done easily with one of the
cast iron hand cranked shellers found in most antique shops. Grinding corn meal is another
matter, my little hand machine will do for our kitchen but for marketing meal one would
need a bigger unit with a motor.

MAsteveINE