market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Chicken feed - growing grains for

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sue Wells" <farmersue AT myfairpoint.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Chicken feed - growing grains for
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:28:40 -0500

We starting raising oats in 2010 for our chickens. We had to harvest them by hand, and that wasn’t very good. Before very long, the deer discovered the oats and not only ate them, but slept in the field, also. Kinda like my cats used to do in the catnip area, sleep and eat it. We did get enough to make it worth all the work, as the chickens loved it. This year, we have to get equipment to cut it for us, and hope the economy is good enough for us to do that.  We will be raising a lot more corn, for the chickens and pigs,. And for corn meal for us. And also more grains if we can.  Don’t forget chickens love pumpkins, squash, and cabbages that can be stored for along time. We can a lot for the winter for them, and also freeze a lot of vegetables for them, as well as for ourselves. We get a lot of enjoyment out of our chickens and pigs, and besides spoiling them badly, we want them to be healthy and have great tasting eggs and good meat. There is nothing better on a cold day than feeding chickens canned tomatoes, or thawed out frozen tomatoes. It is a lot of work in the summer, besides doing the Markets, but, who needs sleep then anyway!!

Sue

Vermont