market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Chicken feed - growing grains for

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Robin Follette" <list AT seasonseatingsfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Chicken feed - growing grains for
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 14:44:07 -0500

Joyce, how will you feed the forage beets to the chickens?

Robin

Robin Follette
Seasons Eatings Farm
Talmadge ME 04492

Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:59 AM

I agree!  The increasing price of feed is really putting a kink in my plans for raising chickens this year.  I talked it over with my mentor (Dad) who agreed I should grow my own feed.  (I think he was just waiting for me to come to that conclusion on my own.  Old farmers!  Gotta love 'em.)  Anyway, I am going to till an additional acre, split it into 4 sections and plant Indian corn, hard red spring wheat, barley, and oats.  In a different part of the garden I'm going to plant another 1/4 acre of forage beets.  That should make more than enough feed to winter over my small flock.  I don't think growing your own feed is the hard part though -- it's how to properly store it so it doesn't go bad before you get to use it.  I'm still working on that part.  BTW, I'm also working on building a 1 acre hops yard and I've found that chickens love eating hops!  We are very rural and economically depressed here.  I sell my non-medicated, non-GMO feed eggs for $2.50 a dozen from my farm and already the stores are selling factory farmed eggs for at least that.  I think people better get to know their farmers real quick.

Joyce Paski
Swamp Creek Farm, Zone 3
http://www.swampcreekfarm.blogspot.com