market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Chicken feed - growing grains for

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Chicken feed - growing grains for
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:59:52 -0500

I'd love to know what others are doing for feed (and charging for eggs).

Joan Vibert
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas

 Your operating methods might have to change in order to
change the price you are paying for a bunch of labor but chickens
will thresh small  grain and use the straw for bedding if you find a way to
dry and store it before/until feeding.

Chickens dote on root vegetables, and cabbage, which can be stored
well into the  winter burried under those small grains in the barn or under
low grade hay/straw heaped in the field.

Corn is easy to hand pick when dry, not bad to shell with a had crank sheller,
but to be well used by chickens needs cracking, which means a machine
and what not.

Note that open pollinated corn and grain are the first hit and worst damaged
by varmints in the growing and storage processes, so if you are trying to
get away from hybrid and gmos ........plant extra.

MAsteveINE