market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Egg prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: <thamnophis AT gmail.com>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Egg prices
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 19:54:27 -0500

There are some good, detailed spreadsheets out there on layer economics.
Mine from 2008, attached, is much simpler, with some WAGS, but I don't think
they are too far off. For instance, if you don't know how much it cost to
raise your pullets (were feeding several groups and didn't keep feed cost
separate), find out what started pullets would cost and use that figure. If
you have equipment but aren't sure of the cost, use the replacement cost
(which is a good idea to do anyway, because if you stay in business long
enough, it will eventually need to be replaced). For replacement cost, I
would use the retail that I would buy if I bought, because my labor in
building if I home built instead should be accounted for, not just
materials. Oops, I'm getting it complicated, and attached the file so you
could see how elementary it can be.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY
Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com
Become a Fan on Facebook

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and
geese

Wendell Berry

Moore Lappe